Château de Villette
Regular price €60.00
On the banks of the Aubette, in the Val-d'Oise, stands the Château de Villette as it was built in the late seventeenth century, according to the plans of Jules Hardouin-Mansart, first architect of Louis XIV. The estate, which has had many owners from the 13th century to the present day, still bears the mark of the Enlightenment, during which it welcomed the most brilliant minds. The intellectual couple formed by the Marquis de Condorcet and his beautiful wife, Sophie de Grouchy, received the greatest men of the time: the Marquis de La Fayette, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson.
Classified as a historic monument in 1942, the Château de Villette now hosts filming, symposia and receptions, and reveals a heritage preserved and restored by the care of the current owners and the decorator Jacques Garcia, based on a meticulous study of historical archives.
With Sophie de Grouchy for inspiration, Guillaume Picon, historian, reveals the intellectual and cultural heritage that inhabits the field for nearly eight centuries in a book richly illustrated by the previously unpublished photographs of Bruno Ehrs.